Positive Paws Program
Positive Paws is a school-wide set of strategies we use for helping all students achieve important social and learning goals.
Our strategies are based on the belief that “Positive behaviors from adults and students lead to an improved learning environment and increased learning.” We know that when good behavior and good teaching come together, our students will excel in their learning.
As part of a PBIS learning community:
- We set and teach clear expectations for behaviors in all areas of our school.
- We explicitly teach what our expectations are and how to meet these expectations.
- We recognize and honor students for using positive skills (such as giving them positive encouraging words or notes for their great behavior.)
- We reinforce these skills through common words and images within our building, playground areas, cafeteria, buses, specials, assemblies, field trips and classrooms.
Since our school mascot is Stripes the Tiger, we use his PAWS to help us remember our school expectations.
They are summarized by spelling out PAWS:
ATTEND WITH BODY & MIND
By detailing every expected behavior and teaching these in a positive way, we provide a common language for everyone in our building and for you to use at home.
Common language and multiple opportunities for modeling and practice have already had a positive impact on our school. These practices have resulted in significant decreases in planning room referrals for problematic behaviors and an overall more positive climate.
Because we see the results of our efforts everyday in polite, caring and positive interactions between adults and students and between students with students we will continue to use Positive Paws.
Northeast School is committed to helping every child achieve to the best of their ability, while making the most of each day’s learning opportunities.
We welcome your input and involvement with our school and these strategies. Please contact us at school if you have any questions or would like further information. We are “Pawsitively” appreciative of your support!
Positive Paws at Northeast: Positive Behavior and Interventions and Supports (PBIS)
“Positive behaviors from adults and students lead to an improved learning environment and increased learning.”
NORTHEAST PAWS TEAM
- Susanne Engels, Principal
- Kathy Riley, Counselor
- Nancy Webster, Grade K Teacher
- Lynn Churchill, Grade K Teacher
- Leah Abatiell, Grade 1 Teacher
- Marie Marallo, Grade 2 Teacher
- Summer Stoutes, Grade 2
- Brad Bender, Primary Art Teacher
- Leanne Golfin, Special Educator
- Jess McGowen, Special Educator
- Lisa Cotrupi, Planning Room
Please call the school with any questions. (802) 773-1946